OPEN UP YER EYES, GET A GRIP OF YERSELF INSIDE

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Long live Bob Geldof

Last night I watched a documentary about the lead up to Live Aid, that absolutely mint concert that I would have loved to have been at on July 13th 1985 (I wasn't even alive then!) Bob Geldof is my hero. He is the most amazing man, and one of the most important men on this planet. Yeh, he's rude, he swears, people are scared of him. But to be honest, he has got more done for poverty that anyone. HE GETS THINGS DONE. He can talk anybody into doing anything, and if it takes being rude and swearing to do that, then go for it. If only there were more Christians with the guts he's got, with the anger he's got towards the poverty in this world. He has spent years working against it. Man, I wish I were more like him. I wish everyone was. If more people did half the stuff he did, instead of sitting around just letting him (and Bono) do the dirty work, this world would be so much better off.

We are doing this course at Church called the Forty Days of Purpose. Ok, so I haven't been reading the book we're meant to (exams have kind of got in the way!) but I've been to the Bible studies and the Church services. 2 out of 3 isn't bad. And the theme of this past week was about worship. About giving yourself as a living sacrifice to God. About giving everything you've got into worshipping Him. And from that of course, leads onto this whole poverty thing. Love one another. "Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." (Matthew 25:40) What am I doing for them? Nothing. Yet. I will be soon. For now I'm doing exams which I'm not sure how are going to help me in life. I pray I'll find a way they can. Who knows what I'll be doing next year? Or in 20 years? I have no clue. But I pray I'll be helping those who need it.

I wish I was going to Live 8. That would be absolutely fantastically brilliantly wonderfully amazing. But I didn't get tickets. Instead I'll be sat in a house in Cwmbran in Wales, not doing a lot really. Shame. If its on the tv live, I'll be glued to the tv all day. Except maybe when Maria Carey is on. I know someone who got tickets. He'll be there, I'll be jealous.

Long live Bobg Geldof. Or atleast people with his guts, anger, courage and love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home