OPEN UP YER EYES, GET A GRIP OF YERSELF INSIDE

Saturday, October 21, 2006

One year ago today

Today has been one year since I first arrived in Colombia. I can remember the day quite well. I got up really early at Eastern Uni in Pensylvania where I was visiting my friend, and got dropped off at the train station. We both got the train to Philadelphia where we tried to sort out my tickets. I think that turned out to be quite confusing, but I cant remember why. That day all trains to Florida were cancelled due to a hurricane that was on its way, which made me nervous as I was supposed to fly to Miami that afternoon. Anyway, I left Julie, got on the train, made my way back to New York City where someone I knew met me with their car and drove me to JFK airport. I checked in. Simple stuff. The flights, thankfully, weren't cancelled. I had my first idea of what Miami airport was like. I dont like it. Made it onto my next flight and flew down to Bogotá, Colombia.

It was dark as I flew over the country so I didn't get a very good view of it. I saw the lights of Bogotá and I still didn't believe I was actually there. Despite having heard that Bogotá airport can be difficult, I didn't have any problems and I made my way outside to where I got my first view of what Colombia can be like. Lots of people speaking a strange language I didn't understand, all crowded round waiting for their people to arrive. I turned right out of the airport door and saw an American lady with a sign with my name on, so waved and headed over in her direction. And so I met Jennie who was working with Childrens Vision. We met, introduced ourselves, probably hugged, and then she introduced me to about 10 of the kids, who later I would learn all their names and funny little personalities, but to be honest I have no idea of which kids were there. Part of me wishes I knew. Anyway.

We got in the CVII bus, and me and Jennie sat talking while the kids slept through the 45 minute drive through the city. Driving on the 'wrong' side of the road, lots of manic Friday night Colombian traffic, and I saw kids sitting by the side of the road, with nobody else. We arrived at what was very soon to become home, and dropped the kids off at their home and went into my house. There were 2 other people there, Asa and his girlfriend (now wife) Milena. I met them and he carried my suitcases up to my bedroom.

We left almost immediately to go round to the 'chicken place' as I call it because I can never remember the name. I walked along the road talking to these people who had lived in Colombia for a long time and I had no idea where I was or what to expect. In the chicken place we sat at a table by the window and ordered the rotisary chicken and salty potatoes, typical of Colombia. A man with one arm and scruffy clothes was sat eating at another table. A dog was wandering round the restaurant and kitchen. People were hanging round outside. A bar across the road was playing salsa music very loudly. I got a pretty good idea of what the neighbourhood was like! And then after eating, I went home and sat chatting to Asa for a bit. And then went to sleep in my new bed in my new bedroom.

And then the next day I got up, unpacked, had pancakes for breakfast, and went and met some kids and was shown around the kids homes.

But I'll never forget my first day in Colombia. I cant believe its only been a year. Only one year I had no idea who anybody was out there, I couldn't speak a word of Spanish. And now, well, I got told off for asking for a glass of water from the kitchen in one of the homes because apparently, its my house, my kitchen and I should help myself! Its home. One of them, anyway.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, was it only a year?! It's just over two years since I arrived in South Africa. A whole year, that's crazy!

10:18 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home